If your business has received a demand letter alleging a violation of labor laws, it's important to take the following steps:
1. Review the demand letter: Carefully review the demand letter to understand the specific allegations and the relief being sought.
2. Litigation hold: Preserve and maintain all records and documents pertaining to the allegations.
3. Insurance: consider which policies may apply and tender the claim to the carrier in order to preserve coverage.
4. Consult with an attorney: Seek the advice of an experienced employment law attorney to help you understand your rights and obligations and to advise you on the best course of action. The attorneys at Outside Legal Counsel LLP have extensive experience in this area.
5. Gather information and documentation: Collect all relevant information and documentation, including on-boarding documents and notices provided, payroll records, time and attendance records, and any other relevant documents.
6. Consider negotiating a settlement: Depending on the circumstances, it may be possible to negotiate a settlement with the plaintiff or their attorney to resolve the dispute. An attorney can help you evaluate the potential costs and benefits of a settlement. The attorneys at Outside Legal Counsel LLP have extensive experience in resolving such disputes.
7. Prepare a response: If you are unable to reach a settlement, your attorney can prepare a response to the demand letter that addresses the allegations and provides evidence to support your position.
8. Consider alternative dispute resolution: Depending on the circumstances, alternative dispute resolution methods, such as mediation or arbitration, may be a more efficient and cost-effective way to resolve the dispute than litigation.
9. Prepare for litigation: If the dispute cannot be resolved through negotiation or alternative dispute resolution, be prepared to defend your position in court. The attorneys at Outside Legal Counsel LLP can help you navigate the legal process and protect your rights.
It is important to act promptly and carefully when faced with a demand letter alleging a violation of labor and employment laws. Ignoring the letter or failing to take appropriate action can result in additional legal problems and financial exposure for your business, including individual liability for owners of the business.
This is not legal advice and is attorney advertising.
Disclaimer: Nothing on this website is or should be construed as legal advice. An attorney-client relationship does not exist with our firm unless a signed retainer agreement is executed, and we do not offer legal advice through this site or any of the content located on it. For legal advice for your particular circumstances, please contact us directly.